Resources and
legal information

Ask & Answer:
Immigration and Refugee Legal Information

web, map, flat-3120321.jpg

Canada’s immigration system is one of the country’s largest administrative systems. Rules and processes change frequently, and navigating it can be a challenge. 

We offer free public legal education presentations online or in person to groups who would like to learn more about how the immigration, refugee, or citizenship systems work, and about the rights of migrants navigating them.

If your group or organization would like to have a presentation from us, please get in touch by emailing Bridget: or call 807-346-7800


  • Thunder Bay Multicultural Association The TBMA provides newcomer settlement services to immigrants and refugees during their first years in Canada. They provide English language instruction and testing through the LINC school, translation and interpretation, and referrals to resources in the community. 
  • Lakehead International Student Advising  Lakehead University provides free immigration advice from authorized immigration representatives to international students accepted to and attending Lakehead University. They also offer weekly drop in hours via Zoom. 
  • Confederation College International Student Advising Confederation College has International Student Advisors available to help students registered at the College with immigration issues.
  • Thunder Bay’s Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot – The RNIP is a community-driven immigration program being piloted in Thunder Bay and other norther and rural communities across Canada.  Their website offers information for employers and employees about who is eligible for and how to apply.
  • Move to Northwestern Ontario – This website is an immigration portal for economic migrants in Northwestern Ontario, with information about living, working, learning and doing business in Northwestern Ontario. 
  • Le Réseau du Nord – The Réseau due Nord creates links between organizations across Northern Ontario to facilitate the reception and integration of Francophone newcomers.
  • Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada – This is the official website of the Department of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada. It is the most reliable source of information about how to travel, study, work, or immigrate to Canada. 
  • Canada Border Services Agency – This is the official website of Canada Border Services Agency, the department responsible for enforcing immigration rules inside Canada and at its borders.
  • The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada – This is the official website of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, which includes the Immigration Division, the Immigration Appeal Division, the Refugee Protection Division, and the Refugee Appeal Division.
  • CanLII – Free access to Court and Immigration and Refugee Board decisions about immigration, refugee, and citizenship law. Commentary and law journals are also available.
  • Meet Gary – Meet Gary is a resource for individuals who have already made their refugee claim. Gary acts as a member of the Refugee Board and helps individuals seeking refugee status to prepare for their hearing.
  • – This website has answers to common questions for newcomers throughout Ontario.
  • Kinna-aweya Legal Clinic – Kinna-aweya Legal Clinic provides legal advice and support to people living in the District of Thunder Bay.  They focus on Indigenous peoples and are funded by legal aid. Kinna-aweya helps people get income maintenance benefits and sustain access to housing. They also provide legal education workshops and work towards positive change.
  • Lakehead University Community Legal Services (LUCLS) – LUCLS is a free legal clinic located in Lakehead University’s Faculty of Law building. Under the supervision of staff lawyers, student caseworkers offer free legal services to low income residents in Northwestern Ontario. LUCLS helps with: minor criminal offences, serious provincial offences, tenant rights, small claims court and civil disputes under $35, 000, employment law, and simple wills and powers of attorney. 
  • Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation – NAN Legal provides legal, paralegal, public legal education, and law reform services to the members of the Nishnawbe Aski Nation.
  • The Northwest Community Legal Clinic – The Northwest Community Legal Clinic is a not-for-profit organization serving low-income residents in the Kenora and Rainy River Districts.
  • Legal Aid OntarioSome newcomers will be eligible for a Legal Aid certificate to hire a private lawyer to represent them in their immigration procedure. The Legal Aid Website provides information about how to apply for legal aid and helps find the nearest location. You can also call the Legal Aid Ontario Client Service Centre at their toll free number 1-800-668-8258.
  • HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic Ontario – HALCO is a charitable not-for-profit community-based legal clinic that provides free legal assistance to people living with HIV/AIDS throughout Ontario.
  • South Asian Legal Clinic Ontario – SALCO is a not-for-profit legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario. SALCO works with low-income South Asians across Ontario in a number of areas of poverty law.
  • Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic – CSALC offers advice and representation to low-income, non-English speaking members of the Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotian, and Cambodian communities throughout Ontario.
  • Justice for Children and Youth – A child rights legal clinic that offers information, summary advice, referrals, and representation to youth across Ontario.
  • Refugee Law Office – Legal Aid Ontario’s Refugee Law Office helps clients prepare claims for refugee status at refugee determination hearings before the Immigration and Refugee Board. 
  • Community Legal Education Ontario – CLEO  produces clear language material for people with low incomes. Main topics include social assistance, landlord and tenant law, refugee and immigration law, workers’ compensation, women’s issues, family law, employment insurance and human rights. Most publications are available in French, and some are available in other languages. All of their publications are free, and there is no charge for delivery. 
  • Your Legal Rights MainThis website has a collection of legal information resources produced by hundreds of organizations across Ontario. These include resources and webinars for community workers produced by CLEO and other organizations.
  • Law Society Referral ServiceThe Law Society of Upper Canada is the body that governs all lawyers in Ontario. The Law Society also has a service that assists people in finding a lawyer in the correct area of law. This service is called the Law Society Referral Service. A phone call to the toll free number at 1-855-947-5255 will give you the name and phone number of a lawyer who will provide you with a 30-minute free consultation.
  • Human Rights Legal Support CentreThe Human Rights Legal Support Centre is now offering services in Thunder Bay. You can contact the Centre toll free at 1-866-625-5179 for advice and help with starting a human rights application.
Translate »